Nullable, inout, and more

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sat Mar 8 05:15:57 PST 2014

A small test program. This could be a base for a bug
report/enhancement request, but I am not yet sure:

import std.range: iota;
import std.array: array;
import std.typecons: Nullable;
alias Foo = int[5];
Nullable!Foo bar1() {
     Foo r = 5.iota.array;
     return typeof(return)(r); // OK
}
Nullable!Foo bar2() {
     return typeof(return)(5.iota.array); // Error
}
Nullable!Foo bar3() {
     return typeof(return)(5.iota.array.idup); // Error
}
void main() {}

With dmd 2.066alpha gives:

test.d(10,26): Error: inout method
std.typecons.Nullable!(int[5]).Nullable.this is not callable
using a mutable object
test.d(13,26): Error: inout method
std.typecons.Nullable!(int[5]).Nullable.this is not callable
using a mutable object

Are the error messages acceptable? In bar3 I have used an idup so
the array is not mutable.

And is it possible to modify Phobos/D to accept bar2 function?

Bye,
bearophile