Installing D on OSX using .dmg

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sun Mar 16 02:20:39 PDT 2014

On Sun, 2014-03-16 at 04:02 +0000, Joel wrote:
> I get an access problem (Downloads & Tools. link), it saying it's
> an unidentified developer.
>
> Thanks for any help.

Apple are trying to impose a rule that all executables on OSX are
signed. I am more or less convinced this is a good idea. It at least
isn't the "you are only allowed to install software that comes from the
Apple Store", which is what Apple would really like to do, but which
would be a disaster.

There is an option in the security menu to say whether you want
applications only from the Apple Store, only signed or no restriction.
You have to switch this to no restriction to install unsigned DMG.
People have convinced me that leaving the setting on signed only is the
right thing, escaping out of that for specific DMG you know the total
history of.

I am away from an OSX machine for a couple more days, so this is
entirely from memory

The moral of this story is that the DMG should be signed.

Actually this goes for the RPM and Deb files as well. Also stuff on
Jordi's Debian site and elsewhere. The question is whose signature and
whose CA.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk