CMake for D

Trent Forkert trentforkert at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 18:15:08 PDT 2014

On Monday, 24 March 2014 at 23:55:14 UTC, Dragos Carp wrote:

>> Any alternatives??
>
> I moved cmaked2 to github [1], updated and simplified the usage
> little (system cmake patch not necessary anymore). You can give
> it a try. Dub registry support is also on the way.
>
> Regards
> Dragos
>

> [1] - https://github.com/dcarp/cmake-d

Heh, seems I waited a bit too long, eh? I've been gearing up to
do an initial release of some modifications to CMake that give
better D support. (To clarify: this isn't being merged upstream
yet, but hopefully that'll happen eventually)

While the approach taken by CMakeD2 and cmake-d gets a good
amount of the way there, it lacks key CMake features. Namely:
Visual Studio support, which unfortunately requires patching the
C++ source.

The module-only approach also cannot support LDC (save via ldmd,
which is not ideal), as CMake will think it is a linker. There
were other problems I encountered that required changes to the
C++ code as well, though I don't recall what they were off the
top of my head.

I'm curious to see how you intend to do dub support, though.

  - Trent