How useful should inout be?

Kagamin spam at here.lot
Tue Mar 25 05:48:42 PDT 2014

On Sunday, 23 March 2014 at 10:28:54 UTC, Infiltrator wrote:
> So, is this a limitation with inout, part of its design, or am
> I misunderstaning something more fundamental?

It's fundamental: inout makes sense for function attributes only
and can't be used as a template parameter or struct/class field
(what map attempts). Opaque template parameters would solve the
issue and can be also used for other purposes, but on the first
sight they seem like a task of galactic scale, hence nonviable.