Getting the current datetime converted into a string for writing to stdout

Andre Artus andre.artus at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 01:25:42 PDT 2014

>> On Saturday, 29 March 2014 at 05:01:14 UTC, Gary Miller wrote:
>> -- SNIP --
>>
>> I only need it down to the second and from my current machine
>> so I don't need to use any of the more accurate clocks used
>> for benchmarking right now.

> On Saturday, 29 March 2014 at 09:30:44 UTC, Gary Willoughby
> wrote:
> This is the easiest way i know.
>
> import std.stdio;
> import std.datetime;
>
> void main(string[] args)
> {
> 	writeln(Clock.currTime.toLocalTime.toSimpleString);
> }

toSimpleString (and toString) returns a string with fractional
seconds; which I suspect is not what Gary Miller wants.

>> It would be nice if all the primitive datatypes had a
>> consistent toString cast or function but since I'm not seeing
>> those I guess writeFormatted must be the preferred way of
>> getting values into string format.
>
> See std.conv and the 'to' function.
>
> data.to!(string)
> data.to!(int)
> etc...
>
> http://dlang.org/phobos/std_conv.html#.to

Considering the international spread of D users I find it
surprising that the date & time formatting functions in phobos
are not localizable.

When working in Windows I prefer to wrap GetDateFormatEx, but it
would be nice to have an OS agnostic version.