Create many objects using threads

Ali Çehreli via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue May 6 11:13:36 PDT 2014

On 05/06/2014 05:46 AM, hardcoremore wrote:

 > But what does exactly means that Garbage Collector blocks? What
 > does it blocks and in which way?

I know this much: The current GC that comes in D runtime is a
single-threaded GC (aka "a stop-the-world GC"), meaning that all threads
are stopped when the GC is running a garbage collection cycle.

 > And can I use threads to create multiple instance faster or that is just
 > not possible?

My example program that did nothing but constructed objects on the GC
heap cannot be an indicator of the performance of all multi-threaded
programs. In real programs there will be computation-intensive parts;
there will be parts blocked on I/O; etc. There is no way of knowing
without measuring.

Ali