D Newbie Trying to Use D with Major C Libraries

Tom Browder via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Thu May 15 14:27:06 PDT 2014

I am a volunteer developer with the well-known 3D CAD FOSS project BRL-CAD:

  http://brlcad.org

I have wanted to use D for a long time but I hadn't taken the plunge.
Yesterday I advertised to the BRL-CAD community my new project to
attempt to create D bindings for BRL-CAD's C libraries, and I created
a branch for the project.

I have been looking for specific information on creating D bindings
from C headers for which there seems to be sufficient information
available, but I would appreciate recommendations as to the best
method.  I have successfully built my first pure D program but now
need to test the feasibility of my project.

What I have not seen yet is the exact way to build a D program which
uses D bindings and its matching C library.  I have just created a
Cookbook page on the D Wiki where I show my first attempt for a real
GNU Makefile as an example for the project.  The page link is here:

  http://wiki.dlang.org/Using_C_libraries_for_a_D_program

I would appreciate it if an experienced D user would correct that
recipe so it should compile the desired binary source correctly
(assuming no errors in the  input files).

Thanks for any help.

Best regards,

-Tom