Programming a Game in D? :D

Szymon Gatner via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue May 27 03:13:12 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 27 May 2014 at 10:03:36 UTC, David wrote:
> On Saturday, 24 May 2014 at 08:54:53 UTC, ponce wrote:
>
>> Hi David,
>>
>> Learning programming, learning D and learning 3D are 3
>> significant endeavours.
>> You might want to begin with http://www.basic4gl.net/ which
>> will get you going with 3D, quite a topic in itself.
>> Then learn D regardless :)
>
> So, I'v used Blender for a half year or sth. and I think I can
> make a little area :)
> As far as I know, I do now need a graphic and physics engines,
> 1 of the graphic APIs and for sure my programming stuff and
> here I'm stuck :D
>
> And I still can't install Mono-D :( if I try I just get a whole
> bunch of errors that any packages couldn't be found, don't know
> if I'm doing sth. wrong
> (I probably do :P)

I would STRONGLY advise to go with a ready engine like Unity.

You still have to learn a lot before you  will have just building
blocks to create a game like loading and rendering 3D models, a
gameplay framework etc etc.

Start with Unity, lean how to make a game there. Learn how to
programm gameplay there and after that, when you see what is
needed before even being able to make a game, only then try to
make things from scratch. Use C# in Unity too as it is similar to
D so you will have easier transition when necessary.