Pointer across threads

Chris via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue Nov 4 04:47:09 PST 2014

The following

struct DATA {
  short* data;
  size_t len;
}

// data and len are provided by a C function
// ...
auto data = mymodule.getSpeechData();
// cast to immutable, because of concurrency
immutable short* tmp = cast(immutable)(data.data);
auto proc = spawn(&processData, thisTid);
send(processData, tmp, data.len);

However, processData never receives "tmp". Is this because tmp
and data.data are still pointing to the same address? If this is
the case, why doesn't the compiler warn me? Or is it something
else (pointer not visible across threads?).

Is there a work around? (I wanted to avoid having to convert
short* to short[] and .idup it.)