Access Violation Tracking

Nikolay via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Fri Nov 7 22:23:39 PST 2014

> i also developed a habit of writing assert()s before
> dereferencing
> pointers first time (including class refs) in appropriate
> places, so
> i'll got that stack trace for free. ;-) and i never turning off
> that
> asserts in "release builds".

About null pointer deref & core dump

I think, it is problem. Dland on windows gives stacktrace without
any problem. In general it is expected behavior for many people
from different languages (Java, C#). So from my point of view it
is bad idea has core dump for null deref in linux by default.

As I remember current linux handler is dirty hack, and it is main
reason why it is disabled by default.