practicality of empirical cache optimization in D vs C++

Kirill via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon Nov 10 11:18:19 PST 2014

Dear D community (and specifically experts on cache optimization),

I'm a C++ programmer and was waiting for a while to do a project
in D.

I'd like to build a cache-optimized decision tree forest library,
and I'm debating between D and C++. I'd like to make it similar
to atlas, spiral, or other libraries that partially use static
optimization with recompilation and meta-programming to cache
optimize the code for a specific architecture (specifically the
latest xeons / xeon phi). Given D's compile speed and
meta-programming, it should be a good fit. The problem that I
might encounter is that C++ has a lot more information on the
topic, which might be significant bottleneck given I'm just
learning cache optimization (from a few papers and "what every
programmer should know about memory").

 From my understanding, cache optimization mostly involves
breaking data and loops into segments that fit in cache, and
making sure that commonly used variables (for example sum in
sum+=i) stay in cache. Most of this should be solved by
statically defining sizes and paddings of blocks to be used for
caching. It's more related to low level -- C, from my
understanding. Are there any hidden stones?

The other question is how mature is the compiler in terms of
optimizing for cache comparing to C++? I think gnu C++ does a few
tricks to optimize for cache and there are ways to tweak cache
line alignment.

My knowledge on the subject is not yet concrete and limited but I
hope this gave an idea of what I'm looking for and you can
recommend me a good direction to take.

Best regards,
--Kirill