Live without debugger?

Bauss via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue Nov 11 00:40:21 PST 2014

On Monday, 10 November 2014 at 10:50:49 UTC, Chris wrote:
> On Sunday, 9 November 2014 at 08:26:59 UTC, Suliman wrote:
>> I know that a lot of people are using for programming tools
>> like Sublime. I am one of them. But if for very simple code
>> it's ok, how to write hard code?
>>
>> Do you often need debugger when you are writing code? For
>> which tasks debugger are more needed for you?
>
> I don't use a debugger for D. Most of the code I deal with is
> my own code anyway so I usually have a good idea of where
> things go wrong when they go wrong. But I think that it is also
> down to D being debug-friendly by nature (and I usually insert
> simple "debug" statements and / or unittests). In my
> experience, it doesn't even need an IDE. I think that's a sign
> of quality.

What this guy said. I currently have a 20,000+ lines project and
I haven't used a debugger once and have only done manual
compiling; yet I haven't encountered any bugs or errors I haven't
been able to fix within a short time; without going through a lot
of code. I think I would probably have spend longer fixing bugs
and errors using a debugger, breakpointing than simply analyzing
code myself.

All code is written by myself though and everything is
documented, so I have a pretty good view over the project itself
and anybody who decided to use it should have no problem
navigating it either.

Hands down to D for being as it is.