insertInPlace differences between compilers

Jesse Phillips via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue Nov 11 16:31:30 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 11 November 2014 at 20:53:51 UTC, John McFarlane
wrote:
> I'm trying to write a struct template that uses
> `insertInPlace`. However, it doesn't work with certain template
> type / compiler combinations. Consider the following:
>
>     import std.range;
>     struct S { const int c; }
>     S[] a;
>     insertInPlace(a, 0, S());
>
> With DMD64 D Compiler v2.066.1, I get the following error:
> /usr/include/dmd/phobos/std/array.d(1013): Error: cannot modify
> struct dest[i] S with immutable members
> /usr/include/dmd/phobos/std/array.d(1079): Error: template
> instance std.array.copyBackwards!(S) error instantiating
> ./d/my_source_file.d(12345):        instantiated from here:
> insertInPlace!(S, S)

I believe DMD is correct here and here is why:

While the function is called "insert" the operation is actually
an assignment. DMD initializes all arrays elements to the default
value so your array position 0 actually contains an S already.
This means the operation is equivalent to

     auto b = S();
     b = S();

Since S is a value type you're actually making a modification 'c'
as stored in 'b'. The compiler is unable to prove that there is
no other reference to that same memory location (though in this
case the variable is on the stack and the modification is local
so such knowledge may be possible).

> In the short term, could anybody suggest a `static if`
> expression to determine whether I can copy the type to the
> satisfaction of `copyBackwards`? I tried isMutable but that
> didn't seem to work.
>
> Thanks, John

You probably want std.traits.isAssignable

     pragma(msg, isAssignable!(S, S)); // False