windows linker error

Joakim via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue Nov 25 17:35:19 PST 2014

On Tuesday, 25 November 2014 at 23:08:07 UTC, Vlad Levenfeld
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 25 November 2014 at 21:22:24 UTC, Vlad Levenfeld
> wrote:
>> On Windows 7 I have built dmd (using the vcxproj), druntime
>> (win64.mak) and phobos (win64.mak).
>>
>> I went into sc.ini and set the LINKCMD to point to Visual
>> Studio 12.0's linker.
>>
>> When I try to compile anything with dmd, I get
>>
>>    LINK : fatal error LNK1181: cannot open input file
>> 'test,,nul,user32+kernel132/noi;.obj'
>>
>> I'm pretty sure else is ok as I didn't see any errors while I
>> was building. What can I try next?
>
> Solved it by pointing to the dmc linker instead. Now I have
>
> LNK1104: cannot open file 'shell32.lib'
>
> I'm compiling with -m64... couldn't compile 32-bit phobos
> because of missing zlib.

Just so we're clear, you're trying to compile for Win64 COFF?  It
sounds like you don't have something about your environment set
up right, as Win64 requires the MSVC toolchain and some
configuration if you use the dmd zip.  Did you install from the
exe installer or are you using the zip?

The dmc linker is not going to work, as it only does OMF.  You
may find this page helpful, though it may be a bit outdated:

http://wiki.dlang.org/Installing_DMD_on_64-bit_Windows_7_%28COFF-compatible%29