Why the DMD Backend?

ketmar via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Fri Nov 28 12:09:53 PST 2014

On Fri, 28 Nov 2014 19:59:39 +0000
Xinok via Digitalmars-d-learn <digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com> wrote:

> Given that we have GDC with the GCC backend and LDC with the LLVM
> backend, what are the benefits of keeping the DMD compiler
> backend?
build time for the whole DMD compiler with standard library, using
G++: 100 seconds. yea, no kidding.

gdc: i don't even want to think about that, way toooo long.

ldc: not that long as gcc, but still much longer than DMD.

besides, for get ready to use compiler with DMD i need only installed
c++ compiler binary. for gdc i need the whole gcc source tree. for ldc
i need installed llvm with it's headers.

DMD is good for fast write-compile-test cycles. and in most cases it's
codegen is satisfying enough.

last, but not least: rdmd is faster than rgdc. ;-)