Beginner ?. Why does D suggest to learn java

spir via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Fri Oct 17 00:59:40 PDT 2014

On 17/10/14 07:38, maarten van damme via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> While d can be complex, there's nothing preventing you from starting out
> simple and not using all features at first.
> I don't understand why it's not suitable for a beginner if you use this
> approach...

For some reasons, in my view: A beginner has to learn programming in addition to
a first lang. A beginner has to learn a first lang in addition to programming.
We learn languages by understanding valid, meaningful input, ie here reading
code. All static langs introduce tons of complication only due to their
"staticity". D is rather big & complex, in the field of static langs. Most code
will use more than a theoretical minimal set of features. And this minimal set
is far more in size, difficulty, complication than in langs partly designed  for
ease of learning (Lua, Python, Scheme...). Even plain C is far more difficult
than say, Lua.