Beginner ?. Why does D suggest to learn java

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Fri Oct 17 01:43:59 PDT 2014

On Friday, 17 October 2014 at 01:05:37 UTC, ketmar via
Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> On Fri, 17 Oct 2014 00:52:14 +0000
> MachineCode via Digitalmars-d-learn
> <digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I don't understand. If at least it were C but java? why not D
>> itself?
> C is *awful* as "beginner's language". never ever let people
> start with
> C if you don't hate 'em.
>
> as for D... current version of D can be used, but with some
> precautions. we now have excellent book by Ali. (it's great,
> really! i
> believe that it must be featured on the front dlang.org page!)
> but java
> has alot more books and tutorials.
>
> not that D is bad for beginners, it's just has a smaller
> userbase. and
> all that things with "classes are reference types and structs
> are not",
> "empty array is not empty array but is empty array" and so on D
> may be
> confusing a little. it's good to have some CS background to
> understood
> that things.
>
> just my cent and cent.

Better, go with FreePascal http://www.freepascal.org/ and
discover all that those features that many C advocates spread as
being close to the machine and other C only features, aren't
exclusive of it.

Alongside support for real modules, OO and genericity.

Then with a head clean of bad C influences, jump into D.

--
Paulo