Beginner ?. Why does D suggest to learn java

HaraldZealot via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sat Oct 18 23:36:44 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 16 October 2014 at 22:26:51 UTC, RBfromME wrote:
> I'm a newbie to programming and have been looking into the D
> lang as a general purposing language to learn, yet the D
> overview indicates that java would be a better language to
> learn for your first programming language. Why?  Looks like D
> is easier than Java...

I have taught programming and programming language for several
years, last 4 in University. In Belarus we have traditionally
program that starts with C as subset of C++ (or even pure C),
than C++ and only after that Java or C#. There are many
high-qualified programmers, who absolve such program. Thus we
have a proof, that even C can be first language. But in my
opinion C is not the simplest way in programming for beginners. D
is perfectly suite education purpose (in place of C and C++ of
our belarusian program), because it has C-like syntax (Pascal
hasn't), it is multi-paradigmal and has procedural-structural
paradigm as C and C++ (but not Java or C#) and this paradigm is
start point of programing for years, D also has more convenient
and clearer syntax than C and C++. The main objection vs. dlang
is that D is unpopular and probably you can't find job offer in
this language. But this objection is weak, if D is your first
language, because IT-student learn much more than one language
during education, and D is very good start and view point for
such languages as C/C++, Java and C#, the most popular
professional languages. And many habits that will be learned in D
(such is unittesting, contract programing and many others) will
serve well in future for language without intrinsic support of
these features.

RBfromME, I have interest to teach D as first language and also
to teach foreigner. So if you want, I can tutor you through
e-mail and github totally free.

harald_zealot at tut.by