Beginner ?. Why does D suggest to learn java

ketmar via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue Oct 21 14:57:59 PDT 2014

On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 21:48:14 +0000
Kapps via Digitalmars-d-learn <digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com> wrote:

> I like D's templates, it's one of the things that makes me like D
> more than C#. But they can definitely get quite complex. C#
> limits templates to generic types, like List<int>, and for a
> beginner I think that's an easier way to handle things.
nobody forcec any beginner to write complex templates from the start.
not even use them: alot of things can be done without phobos, as
excercises. yet i think that it's good to start with the language that
has powerful templates and metaprogramming, so more and more advanced
features can be gently introduced when there is time.

we can't (ok, we can, but this is very-very hard) teach people how to
use metaprogramming properly if their language of choice aren't
supporting metaprogramming at all, for example.

start from using templates as generics, then add some sugar, some type
consitions, some CTFE and so on. with C# we will stop right after
"generics", 'cause there is no other things there.