Beginner ?. Why does D suggest to learn java

Dejan Lekic via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Wed Oct 22 02:25:24 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 16 October 2014 at 22:26:51 UTC, RBfromME wrote:
> I'm a newbie to programming and have been looking into the D
> lang as a general purposing language to learn, yet the D
> overview indicates that java would be a better language to
> learn for your first programming language. Why?  Looks like D
> is easier than Java...

D is far more complex programming language than Java. I do D
programming for over decade, and Java for ~9 years (before I was
a C++ programmmer). Just take a look at number of types you have
in D, storage classes, pointers, modules (that will soon come to
Java too), etc... D generics are superior to Java. However, Java
generics are superasy.

Java is designed to be an easy programming language, D is
designed to be pragmatic. If people new to programming were about
to start with D as the first language, I suggest them to start
with an easy subset of it, and I humbly believe that subset will
look very, very similar to Java.

PS. this is not Java advocacy here, I am just trying to be fair
and realistic. I just love D but if I said D is as easy as Java,
that would be a lie.