std.container.Array

monarch_dodra via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Wed Sep 3 10:05:24 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 3 September 2014 at 16:44:45 UTC, Casper Færgemand
wrote:
> Is there a good reason std.container.Array doesn't work with
> @nogc? The ddoc seems pretty explicit about its purpose:
>
> Array type with deterministic control of memory. The memory
> allocated for the array is reclaimed as soon as possible; there
> is no reliance on the garbage collector. Array uses malloc and
> free for managing its own memory.

Well, for starters, probably simply because we didn't take the
right precautions to make it work. It should. I'll look into it.

That said, keep in mind that Array only manages *its* objects.
But when an Array has pointers, then it *will* tell the GC it
holds indirections, and that it should be scanned in regards to
the cleanup of *other* objects. Think Array!string.