Novice web developer trying to learn D

Gary Willoughby via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 8 10:20:40 PDT 2014

On Sunday, 7 September 2014 at 21:06:48 UTC, zuzuleinen wrote:
> Hello,
>
> First, here is my Linkedin profile
> http://www.linkedin.com/in/andreiboar in order to make an image
> of my professional background. I do realise here are really
> good programmers for which this background might sound like a
> joke, but this is what I did so far.
>
> After watching some presentantions from DConf, and trying the
> language I decided to give it a try in the future.
>
> Currrently I'm reading the Programming in D book by Ali
> Çehreli, and then The D Programming Language by Andrei
> Alexandrescu in order to learn more.
>
> The reason I post this is to ask you what other books do you
> think I should try in order to become hireable in the next 2
> years?
>
> As a web developer I know I lack a lot of information, but I'm
> willing to do the hard work. So if anyone has any other
> books/things I need to know and is willing to make me like a
> small roadmap to become a good D developer I would really
> appreciate.
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Andrei

Hi and welcome.

I find it great that you want to learn and grow as a developer,
many web devs don't and yet still think they're awesome. Using a
language like D is a complete departure from what you've been
doing so far because it compiles to native code and with that
brings quite a few things to learn.

So where to start. First, i would take time to learn about
pointers. These are pretty fundamental when dealing with native
code and there's no real way of getting around that. Here's a
five minute guide:

http://denniskubes.com/2012/08/16/the-5-minute-guide-to-c-pointers/

After that i would probably familiarise myself with the compiler
and linker:

http://dlang.org/dmd-windows.html
http://dlang.org/dmd-linux.html
http://www.lurklurk.org/linkers/linkers.html

You're already reading Ali's and Andrei's books so that's good.

Try reading the phobos documentation to familiarise yourself with
the library:

http://dlang.org/phobos/index.html

Maybe controversial but i would also consider reading the C book
for a good grounding in pointers and memory allocation, etc. A
lot of this is relevant in D.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_C_Programming_Language

It's nice to know these basics and you'll appreciate D a whole
lot more coming from C. ;)

Remember to ask questions here as you go.