Should dmd have given me a warning at least?

Ali Çehreli via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 12 21:47:51 PDT 2014

On 09/12/2014 05:52 PM, WhatMeWorry wrote:

 > Isn't this a contradiction.  The documentation says "glGetString
 > returns a pointer to a static string..."

They are talking about a C string, which is normally a 'char*' (their
API returns 'GLubyte*' but it doesn't matter here).

 > But further on down it
 > then says "If an error is generated, glGetString returns 0."
 > This is the numeric value zero, right?
 >
 > So how can glGetString() return both a string and a zero?

In C (and C++ and D) numerical 0 is a placeholder for the null pointer
value, whatever the actual null pointer value for that platform may be.
(As far as I know, the actual null pointer value of all modern systems
is also 0.)

So, both are pointers: a C string is represented as a char* and 0 is the
null pointer value. No contradiction there.

I hope others with GL experience will answer your question.

 > Btw, your book is excellent, Ali.

Thank you very much. :)

Ali