version assignment and module scope

dcrepid via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 15 14:26:27 PDT 2014

I'm a bit baffled why using something like this doesn't get
recognized by imported modules:

version = Unicode;

I use this to try and alter the way the win32 API headers resolve
certain symbols, but currently the only way to force that version
symbol to be recognized correctly is to define it on the compiler
command-line.

Is there some alternative to doing this?  I thought this was one
way to emulate the C "#define" type of conditional compilation,
but it appears that anything outside of the current module is
unaffected by version assignments like the above.

Could this be considered a defect of design? Thanks!