Fibers and async io stuff for beginners

Jens Bauer via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Thu Apr 23 09:57:28 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 23 April 2015 at 14:22:01 UTC, Ali Çehreli wrote:
> On 04/23/2015 06:56 AM, ref2401 wrote:
>   http://ddili.org/ders/d.en/fibers.html
>
> I appreciate any feedback before the book is finally printed
> sometime before DConf.

This is great information. I didn't know anything about Fibers
before today.
Since I started looking at D, I've seen many new and innovative
ways of programming.
Fibers are definitely also beneficial for microcontrollers.
I can think of a few things that would make good use of Fibers:
1: Real-time Video decompression.
2: File decompression in general.
3: Audio mixing and playback (eg. a MOD player for instance).
4: Collecting data from external devices and sensors.
5: Queueing up a bunch of different jobs; for instance copying
files (everyone probably knows by now not to start copying files
if already copying files).

... Thinking a bit further, I've sometimes wanted to make
multiple cores work on fetching jobs from the same queue. Would
Fibers be good for spreading out jobs this way?
Actually, it would be neat to have a class, which could manage
job-dependencies, so that all CPUs could be made busy without
having to make things look complicated. Someone probably made
this already, though. ;)