Fibers and async io stuff for beginners

Jens Bauer via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Thu Apr 23 15:26:26 PDT 2015

On Thursday, 23 April 2015 at 19:24:31 UTC, Chris wrote:
> On Thursday, 23 April 2015 at 16:57:30 UTC, Jens Bauer wrote:
>> 3: Audio mixing and playback (eg. a MOD player for instance).
>> 5: Queueing up a bunch of different jobs;
>
> At the moment I'm using threads to implement a speech
> synthesizer. It waits for input, synthesizes it, and then
> "speaks" in a separate thread. If new input comes, the speaking
> thread is stopped. I wonder, if fibers would be a viable
> alternative to threads (after all audio playback was mentioned
> in the list above).

I'll try and give you some (perhaps useless) input... :)

I think there are a number of good possibilities for spreading
out the jobs.
First thought is to split every job on spaces; eg. every word is
a separate job, some words may be possible to "recycle" either
fully or partly, depending on how they're pronounced in the
particular context.
I cannot give any conclusions, but I do see that ...
Using multiple CPU cores with each their own Fiber would probably
be the most optimal solution. Each Fiber could perhaps synthesize
a word at a time.
-But I do not know if you're able to control which core your
Fiber is running on.

That would of course only generate the data (faster than
real-time on most systems).
An audio frame-buffer interrupt could 'pull' the data, when
necessary. Such an interrupt could also mix multiple voices
(having different/variable volume and panning) if needed (here
I'm thinking of 'speaking' the conversations in a chat-room).