Static arrays inside struct and class - bug?

Daniel Kozak via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sat Aug 1 12:47:45 PDT 2015

V Sat, 01 Aug 2015 19:21:36 +0000
NX via Digitalmars-d-learn <digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com> napsáno:

> On Saturday, 1 August 2015 at 18:50:09 UTC, Daniel Kozak wrote:
> > No you don't. You still use static allocation for array
>
> Can clarify why does that happen and I still suspect it's a
> static allocation it would increase output exe if it was really
> that static..?

No it would not increase output exe. Problem is with definition:
type[size] val; // static declaration so compilere check max 16M.

But you are right, in your case it could be improved and such
declaration could work.

because:

S {
  byte[16*1024*1024*1024] arr;
}

void main() {
    auto s = new S();
    if (s is null) {
      // error cannont allocate enought memory

but:

void main() {
  byte[16*1024*1024*1024] arr; // impossible to check if is allocated
}

Maybe you can open an enhancment on issues.dlang.org