post on using go 1.5 and GC latency

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sat Aug 22 02:16:01 PDT 2015

On Sat, 2015-08-22 at 07:30 +0000, rsw0x via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> […]
>
> because Go is not a general purpose language.

Not entirely true. Go is a general purpose language, it is a successor
to C as envisioned by Rob Pike, Russ Cox, and others (I am not sure how
much input Brian Kernighan has had). However, because of current
traction in Web servers and general networking, it is clear that that
is where the bulk of the libraries are. Canonical also use it for Qt UI
applications. I am not sure of Google real intent for Go on Android,
but there is one.

> A concurrent GC for D would kill D. Go programs saw a 25-50%
> performance decrease across the board for the lower latencies.

They also saw a 100% increase in performance when it was rewritten, and
a 20% fall with this latest rewrite. I anticipate great improvement for
the 1.6 rewrite.  I am surprised they are retaining having only a
single garbage collector: different usages generally require different
garbage collection strategies. Having said that Java is moving from
having four collectors, to having one, it is going to be interesting to
see if G1 meets the needs of all JVM usages.

> D could make some very minor changes and be capable of a
> per-thread GC with none of these performance drawbacks, but
> nobody seems very interested in it.

Until some organization properly funds a suite of garbage collectors
for different performance targets, you have what there is.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk