post on using go 1.5 and GC latency

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sun Aug 23 04:06:10 PDT 2015

On Sat, 2015-08-22 at 09:27 +0000, rsw0x via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> […]
>
> The performance decrease has been there since 1.4 and there is no
> way to remove it - write barriers are the cost you pay for
> concurrent collection. Go was already much slower than other
> compiled languages, now it probably struggles to keep up with
> mono.

I know Walter hates it when people mention the word but: benchmarks.

As soon as someone say things like "it probably struggles to keep up
with mono" further discussion of the topic is probably not worth
entertaining without getting some agreed codes and running them all on
the same machine.

I agree the standard Go compiler generates not well optimized code, but
gccgo generally does, and generally performs at C-level speeds. Of
course Java often performs far better than that, and often fails to.
You have to be careful with benchmarking and performance things
generally.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk