Role of D in Python and performance computing [was post on using go 1.5 and GC latency]

via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon Aug 24 23:29:02 PDT 2015

On Monday, 24 August 2015 at 21:20:39 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> The issue here for me is that Chapel provides something that C,
> C++, D, Rust, Numba, NumPy, cannot – Partitioned Global Address
> Space (PGAS) programming. This directly attacks the
> multicore/multiprocessor/cluster side of computing, but not the
> GPGPU side, at least not per se.

Yes, I agree that highly parallel batch programming requires a
specialized approach.

Though for most applications I think something like Pony will fit
better. But they have to figure out how to do migration and load
balancing I suppose.

Javascript is moving towards programming using futures/promises,
it is already built into Chrome. While that isn't actors per se,
I think the "computing objects" approach will be more familiar
for programmers over time and that will open up for actor-based
languages too. Maybe.