Role of D in Python and performance computing [was post on using go 1.5 and GC latency]

rsw0x via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue Aug 25 00:21:12 PDT 2015

On Tuesday, 25 August 2015 at 07:18:24 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 25 August 2015 at 05:09:56 UTC, Laeeth Isharc wrote:
>> On Monday, 24 August 2015 at 21:57:41 UTC, rsw0x wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> Horses for courses ?  Eg for Andy Smith's problem of
>> processing trade information of tens of gigs where Python was
>> choking, I guess nobody in their right mind would use Rust.
>
> I don't think there is much difference between C, D or Rust in
> terms of computing. The core semantics are similar. With Rust
> you have the additional option of linear type checking.
>
> But Rust programmers of course want to use idiomatic linear
> typing as much as possible and that makes designing graph-like
> structures a challenge.

An option implies you can turn it off, has this changed since the
last time I used Rust?(admittedly, a while back)

Memory safety doesn't seem like it's the top priority for
scientific computing as much as fast turnarouds and
performance... in my opinion, anyways.