Do a class invariants affect -release builds?

Andrew LaChance via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sun Dec 6 15:01:52 PST 2015

On Saturday, 5 December 2015 at 23:27:31 UTC, Steven
Schveighoffer wrote:
> On 12/5/15 6:06 PM, Andrew LaChance wrote:
>> I was reading a blog post here:
>> http://3d.benjamin-thaut.de/?p=20 which
>> mentions:
>>
>> "Calls to the druntime invariant handler are emitted in
>> release build
>> also and there is no way to turn them off. Even if the class
>> does not
>> have any invariants the invariant handler will always be
>> called, walk
>> the class hirarchy and generate multiple cache misses without
>> actually
>> doing anything."
>>
>> I was curious if this was still true today (the post was
>> written 3 years
>> ago in Sept 2012).
>>
>> Thanks!
>
> I don't remember that the invariant was ever called in release
> mode. But maybe I'm not understanding the statement.
>
> -Steve

I think what he was saying was that even in release mode, the
druntime would keep the invariant "subsystem," but just wouldn't
call the invariant handlers.  So even in release mode, the code
to get a list of all handlers would happen, they just wouldn't be
invoked.  Rather than completely ripping out the invariant system.