I Did It! Calling D Library from Objective C in XCode on OSX

Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Wed Dec 16 07:54:58 PST 2015

On 2015-12-16 10:19, John Colvin wrote:

> How exactly would it do that? I guess it could parse some output from
> dmd to check that it's looking in the right directories, that would be a
> nice enhancement.

Not sure, but for one thing, don't put any files any global directories.
That is, don't put dmd.conf in /etc, don't put phobos in /usr/lib and so on.

> How does it do that?

It adds DMD to the beginning of the PATH environment variable and
doesn't rely on any global files.

> DVM seems useful if you really need multiple versions of DMD installed,
> but in general I don't like having a special installer tool for each
> piece of software, each with its own way of doing things.

I can see the point of that. But with the current update rate of D and
the fact it breaks my code in each single release, I think being able to
have multiple versions of DMD installed is crucial.

Another advantage is that DVM is cross-platform. If you're using
multiple platforms you can use the same way to install DMD on all the
platforms.

--
/Jacob Carlborg