Why should file names intended for executables be valid identifiers?

Shriramana Sharma via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Wed Dec 16 20:26:04 PST 2015

Adam D.  Ruppe wrote:

> It still has a module name that can be used in reflection, must
> be used in name disambiguation (at the linker level if nothing
> else, any functions are mangled with the module name so they
> don't conflict with C functions with the same name), and other
> things.

Sorry but I don't get this fully: can't a hyphen be part of such mangled
names? Aren't they just strings that the linker hashes or something? (My
knowledge of compiler/executable internals is limited.) And any reflection
of the module name would also be just a string which need not be a valid
identifier no?

--
Shriramana Sharma, Penguin #395953