Time from timestamp?

Mon Feb 2 07:37:08 PST 2015

On 2/2/15 10:06 AM, Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> On Monday, February 02, 2015 08:49:58 Steven Schveighoffer via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
>>>
>>> Actually, maybe it should be a static function on SysTime called
>>> fromUnixTime to go with toUnixTime. I don't know. Regardless, it's a nicety
>>> that should be there, and I botched things by not having it.
>>
>> Might I suggest that you simply define an enum for UnixEpoch that's a
>> SysTime. Then you can do whatever you want.
>>
>> Note that unixTimeToSysTime doesn't help the OP, his timestamp is in
>> milliseconds since 1/1/1970.
>
> Then I should probably just do both - declare a function to do the
> conversion (since that's more user-friendly for the common case) and supply
> an enum for the unix epoch if someone is converting to something like
> milliseconds instead of seconds for the unix epoch.

You already have various unixTimeToXXX functions, so it's probably moot,
but with an epoch, such operations are dead simple:

auto t = UnixEpoch + time().seconds;

I see very little value in a wrapper function to do this. But it's
already there, so...

BTW, I think with UFCS, having the 'seconds' etc. functions is one of
the coolest parts of D's time library. I love that part :)

-Steve