Worker is not finished while sending message to intermediate worker

Ali Çehreli via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon Feb 9 11:46:39 PST 2015

Let me answer your question about 'value' first. You said on StackOverflow:

 > Why does it have the value >= 0 as its obvious in the code.

I decided to use the value received to keep the example as simple as
possible. Note that later examples use a special type Terminate to
request termination:

       int value = 0;
       while (value >= 0) {         // <-- Yes, obvious at first
         value = receiveOnly!int(); // <-- But may change here
         // ...
       }

In message passing, threads normally start one more worker threads and
send tasks to those threads. In your example, your thread threads that
live for a very short time. In the case of square(), it creates a thread
for every request that it receives.

There is technically nothing wrong with that. However, it will be a good
idea to ensure that threads are alive when messages are sent to them.
This is not the case in your code.

For example, square() starts a thread, sends a message to it, and leaves
the receive() call. When stringConverter() sends the message, that
message will go to the main() thread. square() has executed its
receive() call and about to exit. In other words, the message "comes in
string" will never be printed.

Again, nothing wrong with it; just stating the obvious... :)

If you want main() to receive stringConverter()'s message, then there is
a bug in stringConverter() because it sends the message to square()
which will never receive it:

     params[0].send(/* ... */);

should be

     params[2].send(/* ... */);

And then main() complains because it should receive just a string:

   Unexpected message type: expected 'string', got
'std.typecons.Tuple!(Tid, string).Tuple'

so the call should actually be

   params[2].send(stringified);

Now it works. :)

Ali