Error: getenv cannot be interpreted at compile time

H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Tue Feb 17 14:21:37 PST 2015

On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 07:56:19PM +0000, Paul via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
[...]
> I see, thanks once again :D I don't know why the environment variable isn't
> accessible at compilation (from a terminal) but that's OS business I guess
> rather than D related.

Even if you *could* access it at compile time, you don't necessarily
want to -- for example, if you distribute your program to other users,
they would be stuck with the terminal settings you had while compiling,
rather than adapting to *their* environment at runtime. If your terminal
doesn't match theirs, it would screw up big time. :-)

Shin: (n.) A device for finding furniture in the dark.