Mimicking C++'s indexing behavior in D associative arrays

FG via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Wed Feb 18 01:24:48 PST 2015

>> // Assume bar is some associative array of type Foo[string]
>> Foo* value = key in bar;
>> if (!value) {
>>      bar[key] = Foo.init;
>>      value = &bar[key];
>> }
>> This seems sub-optimal, given that in involves three hashes (two lookups
>> and one insertion). Is there a more efficient or cleaner way to do so?
>
> So basically:
>
> Foo v = bar.get(key, Foo.init)
> bar[key] = v;
>
> Get is like an ordinary index but it will return the given value if it does not exist in the AA.
>
> Of course you probably want to create a new UFCS function to wrap your check + default initialize if it doesn't exist.
>
> T grab(T, U)(T[U] aa, U key) if (is(T == struct)) {
>      if (key !in aa)
>          aa[key] = new T;
>      return aa[key];
> }

You are searching for the key twice and the original example used pointers.

There is a function called _aaGetX in the runtime that has exactly the required behaviour:

     // Get pointer to value in associative array indexed by key.
     // Add entry for key if it is not already there.
     void* _aaGetX(AA* aa, const TypeInfo keyti, in size_t valuesize, in void* pkey)

however, using it in normal code could be considered a hack, because it belongs to the internal implementation of associative arrays. Anyway, while waiting for a better solution to present itself, we might as well have a look at this very dirty one. ;)

     extern(C) void* _aaGetX(void* aa, const TypeInfo keyti, in size_t valuesize, in void* pkey);

     V* aaGet(K, V)(V[K] arr, K key) {
         return cast(V*)_aaGetX(cast(void*)&arr, typeid(K), V.sizeof, cast(void*)&key);
     }

     unittest {
         int[int] arr = [1: 10, 2: 20, 3: 30];

         int *val = arr.aaGet(3); // an existing value
         assert(*val == 30);

         val = arr.aaGet(4); // aa[4] will be created
         assert(*val == int.init);
         assert(arr[4] == int.init);