D : dmd vs gdc : which one to choose?

Mayuresh Kathe via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Thu Feb 19 03:10:58 PST 2015

On Thursday, 19 February 2015 at 09:10:16 UTC, Rikki Cattermole
wrote:
> On 19/02/2015 9:46 p.m., Mayuresh Kathe wrote:
>> How do I (a newbie to D) figure out which compiler set to use?
>> I am running Ubuntu 14.10, and intend to stick with it in the
>> long term.
>> Should I choose DMD or go with GDC?
>> I would like to know the rationale for suggestions for either.
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> Atleast while learning stick with dmd.
> It is the reference compiler. There are far more developers
> involved in its production then GDC.
>
> And anyway, GDC is still hasn't been updated to the latest
> version of D. And its the last major D compiler that hasn't.
>
> There is a D-apt repository, which will interest you.
> http://d-apt.sourceforge.net/

I thank you for your response, and thank you for that link.

I installed the "dmd_2.066.1-0_amd64.deb" from the dlang.org
website, though. :)
Figured it best to stick with the official DMD as I am working
through "The D Programming Language".