Will D have a standard cross platform GUI toolkit?

Adam D. Ruppe via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Thu Feb 26 10:33:19 PST 2015

On Thursday, 26 February 2015 at 18:20:12 UTC, Rinzler wrote:
> I was wondering if D will have a standard cross platform GUI
> toolkit.

Maybe some day, but probably not because there's not enough
agreement on which one to use or what it should do. There's a few
different ones out there that people maintain themselves, but
none are considered standard - you just pick the one that looks
right to you.

Among the options are:

gtkd: https://github.com/gtkd-developers/GtkD
tkd: https://github.com/nomad-software/tkd
qtd (old): https://github.com/qtd-developers/qtd

my simpledisplay.d and color.d if you just need the basic drawing
https://github.com/adamdruppe/arsd/blob/master/simpledisplay.d
https://github.com/adamdruppe/arsd/blob/master/color.d

And I think there's a few others but I don't remember their names
right now. You can also use C libraries like SDL from D.

> Will QT support D programming language?

I doubt Nokia themselves will officially support D, but D is
getting better and better C++ integration, so it shouldn't be
long until it is possible for us to bind to the library. (It
already is in some limited amount, but it isn't easy to use.
There's also bindings to it through an intermediate layer, but
they tend to be buggy and not well maintained (last I heard
anyway) as well as kinda heavyweight.)

So my answer to this is probably yes, but I wouldn't expect it to
be ready for serious use for another year.

Qt is open source btw.