DMD Zip for Mac OS X

Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sat Feb 28 05:36:17 PST 2015

On 2015-02-28 07:45, Mike Parker wrote:
> I'm not a Mac user and I'm fairly clueless about it. The DMD zip for OS
> X contains one executable. I assume it's a 64-bit binary. Is that true?

Yes. Since DMD on OS X got support for 64bit DMD has only been shipped
as 64bit. There's basically no Mac computers left that doesn't support
64bit. On some older computers the kernel is run in 32bit mode even
thought the CPU supports 64bit. These computers can run both 32 and
64bit binaries.

If one really do want to ship a 32 and a 64bit binary the OS X way is to
create a universal binary containing both the 32 and 64bit version. All
system libraries on OS X are universal binaries, so cross-compiling is
usually no problem.

--
/Jacob Carlborg