cannot modify struct with immutable members

ted via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sat Jan 3 02:10:58 PST 2015

Ali Çehreli wrote:

> On 01/02/2015 10:10 PM, ted wrote:
>
>  > I'm now taking the view that const is there for the compiler to
>  > optimise code on the basis that nothing can alter it once set (and can
>  > only be set on initialisation).
>
> Of course, that is true for const values, not for const references. In
> the latter case it means "I will not modify but others may modify", so
> the optimization that you mention does not apply to const in general.
> However, immutable can be used for optimization.
>
> Ali

....thats (sort of) where I had started from.....

My (clearly incorrect) interpretation was that reinitialising 'myTest1' was
part of the 'others may modify' category because of the fact that it was in
scope of the _someFunc function....

...anyway....lots to learn.

BTW: your book is excellent, and as soon as you have it available for
purchase I will certainly be buying a copy.