How to prevent sensitive information is displayed when the extension 'exe' is modified to 'txt' on windows?

Martin DraĊĦar via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Wed Jan 7 03:23:08 PST 2015

Dne 7.1.2015 v 12:00 Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d-learn napsal(a):

>> What you want is some kind of code obfuscation. The easiest thing for
>> you is to use exe compression. It is not going to stop a dedicated
>> attacker, but ordinary people will not be able to extract any
>> information from it.
>
> And I guess as an alternative to the utility you linked to, you could
> use D's ability to run code at compile time to encrypt your sensitive
> literals during compilation and then decrypt them on program startup.

I don't think you would really need any compile time capabilities. You
could just xor your strings and xor them again before using them to make
it reasonably unreadable. But the thing is that doing these changes
inside the code adds unnecessary complexity and is a potential source of
bugs. Using an exe packer has the advantage of being practically a
one-click solution.