core.atomic: atomicFence, atomicLoad, atomicStore

John Colvin via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sat Jan 10 07:25:50 PST 2015

On Saturday, 10 January 2015 at 12:16:24 UTC, ref2401 wrote:
> I learned how 'atomicOp' and 'cas' work and why i need them
> from the following sources:
> http://ddili.org/ders/d.en/concurrency_shared.html (Ali's book)
> http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1609144
> (Andrei's book)
>
> Can anybody tell me how 'atomicFence', 'atomicLoad' and
> 'atomicStore' work and what do i need them for? Unfortunately
> official documentation didn't make it clear for me.

I seem to be posting this a few times a week now:
http://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Going+Deep/Cpp-and-Beyond-2012-Herb-Sutter-atomic-Weapons-1-of-2
and
http://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Going+Deep/Cpp-and-Beyond-2012-Herb-Sutter-atomic-Weapons-2-of-2

Although we don't have std::atomic in D, the same principles
apply to using core.atomic.atomicLoad and friends.