druntime build failing because of masm386 problems

Rikki Cattermole via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sun Jan 18 19:56:13 PST 2015

On 19/01/2015 4:53 p.m., Jonathan M Davis via Digitalmars-d-learn wrote:
> It's been a while since I did anything in Windows with D, and unfortunately,
> I need to again, and now I can't get druntime to build. I'm getting this
> lovely error:
>
> dmc -c  src\rt\minit.asm
> masm386 -DM_I386=1 -D_WIN32 -Mx src\rt\minit.asm;
>
> Can't run 'masm386', check PATH
> Error: 'dmc' not found
>

> I know that I've seen this before, but I can't remember how to fix the
> problem. dmc is definitely on my PATH (I successfully built dmd prior to
> trying to build druntime), so the error seems to be wrong, for whatever good
> that does me. I don't see a masm386 with dmc, so I don't know where that
> comes from. Maybe that's part of the problem.
>
> Has anyone seen this problem and figured out how to get around it or fix it?
>
> - Jonathan M Davis

I've actually had a go at rebuilding druntime recently for dub.
This is one of the things I HATE the state of.
masm386 based upon what I read from the NG is a compiler written for
16bit and hence not runnable on 32bit Windows.
You will find however minit.obj in the repo along with minit.asm.
You shouldn't need to recompile minit.asm.