Time from timestamp?

Chris Williams via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Fri Jan 30 16:03:43 PST 2015

On Friday, 30 January 2015 at 23:50:53 UTC, ketmar wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jan 2015 23:42:04 +0000, Chris Williams wrote:
>
>> On Friday, 30 January 2015 at 22:38:21 UTC, Chris Williams
>> wrote:
> b9ab5758e755c4e33832ac4aed0a5d7f2c728faf/source/core/devisualization/util/
> core/time.d
>>>
>>> Unix timestamps can be negative, so you should probably be
>>> using longs
>>> instead of ulongs.
>>
>> Yup, there was a world before January 1st, 1970.
>
> not for unix timestamps. please, stop that, unix timestamp was
> not
> designed to present any dates before 1970. "negative timestamp"
> is a bug
> in code.

Unless you know something I don't, everything I've ever read says
that a negative unix timestamp is meant to refer to a time before
1970. It may not have been intentional, but since most database
software probably stores birthdates (many of which are pre-1970)
in this format, having a library be unable to support them just
makes the library useless for many situations.