How to setup GDC with Visual D?

Marko Grdinic via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Fri Jul 3 12:17:26 PDT 2015

DMC works fine, but when I try to compile using GDC it seems it
can't find the compiler:

Building Release GDC x64\ConsoleApp1.exe...
failed launching gdc -m64 -O3 -frelease "-fXf=Release GDC
x64\ConsoleApp1.json" "-fdeps=Release GDC x64\ConsoleApp1.dep" -o
"Release GDC x64\ConsoleApp1.exe" main.d
Building Release GDC x64\ConsoleApp1.exe failed!

I've tried setting the GDC directory to different levels in the
tree, but it gives me the same error regardless. I haven't tried
adding GDC binaries to the PATH yet, but I am not sure whether I
should. I am (trying) to use the latest unsupported alpha build
because the supported version in from 2013 and so I am unsure
whether I should use it.

I only dabbled in D a few months ago when I was writing the
compiler project for the online course, but did not study it
much. Lately though, I've been trying to solve a tough problem on
CodeChef and F# is 4x slower than the C++ version on the online
judge which makes all my solutions time out. It would have been
fine had it been only 2x just as it is on my machine locally.

At any rate, as I've acquired the functional programming style
recently, I do not want to go back to writing C++ unless I am
forced to and I know GDC can match it in speed based on what I've
read on the web.

Any advice regarding how I can get this to work? Thanks.