etc.c.zlib help

Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Fri Jul 3 15:30:10 PDT 2015

On 7/4/2015 1:28 AM, Matthew Gamble wrote:

> Wow Mike. This seems like the most likely explanation to me. I'm a bit
> hesitant to compile phobos from source on this machine with -m32mscoff.
> Perhaps a similar test would be to compile my program on a 32-bit
> windows machine? I can do this at work on Monday. If you are correct is
> this something that should be reported and where would I do that?

You shouldn't have no problems compiling it on any Windows box. It isn't
going to mess anything up. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and I can use
the default 32-bit toolchain, the m32mscoff toolchain and the m64
toolchain without issue.

It's probably easiest to do if you have a version of Visual Studio
installed (I use 2013 community). To compile the m32mscoff version, I
did the following:

1. Open the VS2013 x86 Native Tools Command Prompt
2. set cl32=%VCINSTALLDIR%/bin/cl.exe
3. set ar32=%VCINSTALLDIR%/bin/lib.exe
4. cd druntime
5. %dm_make% -f win64.mak DMD=%DMD% MODEL=32mscoff "CC=\"%cl32%\""
6. cd ../phobos
7. %dm_make% -f win64.mak DMD=%DMD% MODEL=32mscoff "CC=\"%cl32%\""
MAKE=%dm_make% "AR=\"%ar32%\""

This creates a phobos32mscoff.lib, which you can then put anywhere on
your lib path. I took the steps to compile from Rainer Schuetze's post
at [1]. You may need to take additional steps, depending on whether the
DMD and DM make are on your path, or if you've already compiled the
source for another configuration. It's all there in his post.

[1] http://forum.dlang.org/post/m456t5$2jc4$1@digitalmars.com