OT - civility in a professional environment

Laeeth Isharc via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Sat Jun 20 07:19:08 PDT 2015

On Saturday, 20 June 2015 at 11:23:21 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
> Our management tries to apply best practices, it works most of
> the time.

When you have sensitive, smart, and creative people, one should
expect sometimes more sturm and drang - and the question is what
one does with that energy once it has passed.  Actually, what the
article didn't address is that there is sometimes a tradeoff
between being 'nice' (a peculiarly Anglo thing, for which we have
Cardinal Newman and his essay on the Gentleman to thank) and
doing what's right for the situation - it's always much better,
in my experience, to confront things.

I think the D community stands out for its civility and
helpfulness (also for the fact that people have high standards
and care about making sure things are up to scratch).

So I didn't intend by posting this to refer to anything recent on
the forum.  It's just notably relevant to broader experience in
many different office environments.

The newer title of the NYT article is better - this is more a
symptom of distractedness, and less about bosses (who have a
lonely, often verging on impossible job) - it applies to us all
as human beings in 2015.