Extreme memory usage when `synchronized( this )` is used

tcak via Digitalmars-d-learn digitalmars-d-learn at puremagic.com
Mon May 11 02:09:07 PDT 2015

[code]
import std.stdio;

class Connection{
	private void other() shared{}

	public void close() shared{
		synchronized( this ){
			other();

	public void hasData() shared{ writeln("Has Data"); }
}

void main() {
	for(long i=0; i < 250_000_000; ++i){
		auto conn = new shared Connection();

		conn.hasData();

		conn.close();
[/code]

With this code, memory usage of program is increasing very fast.
In about 10 seconds, it reached 100MB for me.

If I comment out `synchronized( this )` line with its
parentheses, OR remove `(this)` from it, it suddenly turns
normal. Very little memory usage.

What's happening? Is object instance being stored somewhere at
each iteration?

--

I tried the same thing by creating synchronisation object instead
of object itself as blow, still usage lots of memory.

[code]
import std.stdio;

class Connection{
	private Object syncObject;